Electromagnetic BX series brakes from Miki Pulley are a power-off, engaged type brake. Of the BX series, the BXR-LE has expanded to three additional sizes, with six total size configurations to choose from. These brakes boast advantages including a slim design and high holding torque in a compact package. They provide quiet operation with long service life. This brake was designed for smaller machine and robotic applications, where cantilevered loads can negatively impact operation. The brake’s unique compact and lightweight design optimizes machine design efficiency. With accompanying voltage controller, power consumption is stepped down to 7 VDC after a split second of 24 VDC for brake actuation.
When the stator is energized, the brake is disengaged allowing free rotation. When no current is applied, compression springs halt the brake rotor thereby stopping the input shaft rotation. This is an ideal feature to prevent power failure events.
When compared to the other BX brakes in the Miki lineup, the BXR-LE design provides just one-third power consumption and heat generation in one-half the overall size thickness. Specifications are:
- Maximum rpm: 6,000
- Static friction torque range: 0.06 Nm – 3.20 Nm (0.044 ft-lb – 2.36 ft-lb)
- Ambient operating temperature: -20 ˚C to 60 ˚C (-4 ˚F to 140 ˚F)
Applications for the BXR-LE brakes include:
- Robotic arm joints to stop movement during a catastrophic power failure
- Z-axis ball screw brake on CNC machine centers
- Internal brake for direct drive servo motors
- Pan/tilt brake for security cameras
- Brake for locking sensor alignment
- Z-axis brake
For more information, visit www.mikipulley-us.com.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.