The successful line of StepSERVO closed loop integrated motors continues to expand with the addition of three NEMA 11 frame models. The TSM11 StepSERVO integrated motors offer the same features and performance benefits of the NEMA 17 and 23 frame StepSERVO motors, but in a much smaller package.
What is StepSERVO closed-loop stepper technology?
StepSERVO closed loop stepper technology starts with a traditional open loop step motor. To that a high resolution encoder is added and the system is controlled as a servo system using space-vector PID current control. The result is a motor that has more torque and better acceleration than traditional step motor systems, while running cooler and quieter as well.
What does NEMA frame size 11 mean?
NEMA frame size 11 refers to the dimensions of the motor’s front mounting face including the shaft diameter, pilot diameter, bolt hole circle and bolt hole diameter. The “11” comes from the square shape of the motor body, which viewed from the front mounting face is 1.1 x 1.1 inches (28 x 28 mm) square. More after the jump.
How can it be so small?
One of the keys to making such a small integrated motor is to use the latest advances in magnetic encoders. The kind of magnetic encoder used in the TSM11 is much smaller than an optical encoder of the same resolution. This means that the housing for the encoder and drive electronics on the back of the motor can also be much smaller.
For what kinds of applications are TSM11 integrated motors best suited?
The TSM11 integrated motors are ideal for applications where space is limited. These include medical devices, healthcare equipment, laboratory automation equipment, surveillance equipment, camera controls, pumps, consumer electronics, as well as many other devices and small machines.
The benefits of TSM11 StepSERVO integrated motors include:
• Increased torque and acceleration
• Increased efficiency and less motor heating
• Decreased position error (and increased accuracy)
• Decreased audible motor noise
• Small size for space-constrained applications
Three lengths of the TSM11 are available:
• TSM11Q-1RM … 1.72 inches long, 9.2 oz-in torque
• TSM11Q-2RM … 2.08 inches long, 11.3 oz-in torque
• TSM11Q-3RM … 2.52 inches long, 17.7 oz-in torque
All TSM11 models include:
• Step & direction, torque, velocity, encoder following, and position control.
• Point-to-point moves (absolute, relative, homing, feed to sensor).
• Stored Q programs for stand-alone motion or in combination with a host PC, PLC or HMI.
• Streaming commands over RS-485 network using Applied Motion’s SCL language or Modbus RTU for easy interface to popular PLC’s and HMI’s.
• 2 programmable digital inputs and 2 programmable digital outputs.
To learn more about the TSM11 StepSERVO integrated motors click here.