Engineers, OEMs, and integrators have struggled for years to balance the cost of PLCs with their I/O needs, and Turck’s new ARGEE technology solves this challenge. ARGEE empowers manufacturers to add logic to compatible I/O devices without a PLC, driving down the cost per I/O point and increasing flexibility in control.
The ARGEE environment is accessible via an HTML5-compatible web browser, which eliminates the need for complex third-party software or licensing that is common with PLCs. Inside the ARGEE environment, users can set condition and action statements to be carried out by the I/O device. The application’s intuitive design includes a flow chart – similar to ladder logic – which allows for easy programing by users of all experience levels.
By taking advantage of ARGEE on Turck’s multiprotocol Ethernet I/O devices, manufacturers are able to realize a better control solution …
… field logic controllers. More after the jump.
FLCs benefit small to mid-size OEMs and manufacturers who are looking to add logic without investing in a PLC. FLCs can be used in one of three ways:
• The FLC stands alone: The FLC performs all logic as a standalone application without a PLC
• The FLC backs up the PLC: If the FLC loses communication with the PLC, the FLC can take over and either shut down or maintain the process
• The FLC and the PLC work together: The FLC can monitor an application and send defined variables and updates back to the PLC
“With FLC powered by ARGEE, engineers can add control capabilities and I/O points to applications without having to invest in or upgrade a PLC,” said Randy Durick, vice president of fieldbus technology at Turck. “Because the I/O devices carry advanced ingress ratings, logic can move outside the panel and onto machines for local control and real-time performance monitoring.”
Specific features of ARGEE … and field logic controllers functionality
• Toggling bits, the utilization of timers and counters, performing arithmetic functions, monitoring of program status via the built-in HMI capabilities and communicating with an upper level PLC
• HTML5-based programing, which makes the environment accessible on any device via capable web browsers such as Chrome and Firefox
• Integration with digital, analog, IO-Link, RFID, and specialty I/O types
ARGEE technology is standard in all Turck multiprotocol Ethernet I/O devices. These devices can be used on any PROFINET, Modbus TCP, or EtherNet/IP platform, and include the TBEN-L/TBEN-S on-machine block I/O, BL compact on-machine flexible block I/O, and FEN20 in-cabinet block I/O.
Turck is a pioneer in industrial automation technology, providing customers with a comprehensive line of quality and advanced technology products in a fast, flexible and accurate manner. With more than 4,000 people working in 28 countries, Turck has built global partnerships with customers based on engineering expertise, flexibility and our willingness to take on engineering challenges that others won’t. For more information, visit www.turck.com.