Trinamic Motion Control now sells TMC2226 stepper motor drivers for two-phase bipolar stepper motors providing up to 2.8 A (peak) and supply voltages ranging from 4.75 to 29 V. Programmable using single-wire UART and featuring some of Trinamic’s latest-generation technologies, the TMC2226 driver is suitable for design upgrades with compatible drivers.
The TMC2226 uses StealthChop2 to ensure smooth, noiseless operation of stepper motors for everyday use. The sophisticated chopper also offers more efficiency and motor torque than other choppers. Once tuned, designers can store the settings in OTP memory and use the TMC2226 driver for standalone motion, thanks to its internal pulse generator.
The TMC2226 is a cost-efficient solution for printers, POS devices, office/home automation, textile equipment, security cameras, ATMs, cash recyclers, and battery-operated equipment. The chip’s easy-to-use programming interface, combined with Trinamic’s latest technologies, yields short development time and low overhead costs
“The step/direction interface is still the most common interface used by motion controllers to communicate with stepper motor drivers,” said Michael Randt, founder and CEO of Trinamic. “With the step/dir interface, the TMC2226 stepper driver IC makes it easy for engineers to upgrade existing designs and to develop new applications.”
The chip also features StallGuard4 for sensorless load and stall detection, CoolStep™ to minimize energy consumption, and SpreadCycle to minimize noise and vibrations while driving the motor at higher speeds. Low RDSon and automatic power down increase energy efficiency, making the TMC2226 a cool step/direction driver with appealing simplicity.
The TMC2226 comes in a thermally optimized 9.7 x 6.4 mm, HTSSOP28 package for optical inspection, and incorporates full protection and diagnostics and an internal sense resistor option.
The stepper motor IC, evaluation board, and breakout board are available now through Trinamic’s official distribution channels.
- 2-phase stepper motors up to 2.8A coil current (peak), 2A RMS
- Voltage range of 4.75 V to 29 Vdc
- STEP/DIR Interface with 8, 16, 32 or 64 microstep pin setting
- Single Wire UART & OTP for advanced configuration options
- Smooth Running 256 microsteps by MicroPlyer interpolation
- StealthChop2, SpreadCycle, StallGuard4, and CoolStep
- Low RDSon, Low Heat-Up LS 170 mΩ & HS 170 mΩ (typ. at 25° C)
- Low Power Standby to fit standby energy regulations
- Internal Sense Resistor option (no sense resistors required)
- Passive Braking, Freewheeling, and automatic power down
- Integrated Pulse Generator for standalone motion
- Full Protection & Diagnostics
- Thermally optimized HTSSOP package for optical inspection
For more information. visit www.trinamic.com/motioncontrol.