Variable frequency drives use a technique referred to as pulse-width modulation (PWM) to provide voltage of varying frequency to an AC induction motor. The inverter, or output, stage of the VFD uses insulated gate bipolar transistors (IGBTs) that switch on-and-off rapidly, creating trapezoidal pulses of varying width to simulate AC sinusoidal … [Read More...]
FROM THE EDITORS
Today on Motion Control Tips
- What is cable ringing between AC drives and motors and how can it be avoided?
- Allied Electronics & Automation expands online selection of motion control and power transmission products
- Regal announces new sizes in stainless steel right-angle gear drive line
- Extra thin emergency and holding brakes for compact automated systems
- Elmo Motion Control receives ISO 14001 certification
- How do vibration sensors measure acceleration to track machine health?
- Multi-axis servo system features oversampling technology